Friday, November 25, 2005

Athu Oru Kanaa Kaalam


Idam:- Iyya Veedu...
Woke up at 5am and started checking the forms....Probably would have done some 5 or 8 times...Still not convinced....
(Yennada..Urrrr-nu iruka... Hmme.....Athuna onnum ila....)
Rearranged the papers....Had a good look at OLD certificates and could recollect some of the old memories...
Time was running Out...
Arranged the Files
8AM....Manram Vantha Song in the MP3 player with high sound..(Sound Kammi panuda.......Hmme...sari..)
Decided to leave....Took the Cell out of the Shirt and saw couple of Missed calls(Since it was in silent mode I couldn;t realise).
(Onnu....AVAL....Inonu yaarunu therila....)
Idam::- Gemini Flyover....
Reached the Embasssy and a big Queue...(8.45AM).
Had a mini talk with the Security and showed the documents...
(Yenpa..Ivara munadi anupu....Thanks Sir..)
Stood in a Queue again..(Naama Indians aachey)
Was looking anxiously all over the place....
(Old Persons,Pregnant Ladies,Small Kids,Students...List goes on and on..)
Excuse me...Ingha BEP counter-a irukha...I have come for Business Visa..
(Yenangha....Atho..Antha Madam kita kelupa....)
(Namma Sornaka maathiri oru lady....)
Madam...Is there a separate Queue for B1...
Yes... Anghey pongha....
(English..Qn Tamil Answer.....Vow...Thamiz inum Sagavillai.....)

Next Please....(Heard a voice from a man who was sitting behind the glass with his speakers on:-)
Very Good Morning Sir..!!!
(Background-la....Baasha....Baasha.....nu naney oru sound kodukiren..)
Can I have your documents Please.
Here it is....(Handed the File).
Give me a moment Please...(Up comes the shutter)
Bit shocked...Cha.....
Just tilted the head to 45 degress and up she comes...Mixture of Meera Jasmine and Asin with Pink Salwar...Nejamavey...Azhakana Ratchasi..
(Ulukula...song....Tha nana na na nana......Oru Maalai ....)
Tak Tak.....Sound came and I didn't realise..
Still Bird Watching......
"Hello Gentleman...When the other side of the Person talks you have to listen"
Sorry Sir...
Are you Nervous...
Not really...
Good. Tell me young man..To which client you work for and what is he doing....
Blah..Blah...
How big is your project..
240+..
If that is the case, on what basis they have chosen you..
(Bit of a googly..I can play defensively or go for a biggie..I backed my natural aggressive instincts and said..)
It has to be the combination of past credentials and the ongoing achievements. Was handpicked by the client to deliver some high pressure assignments and I finished off that in style..It fetched me awards from client side and Iam an integral part of the project.
If thats the case, Ideally they shoud have sent you in H1B or L! and not on Business Visa.
(I couldn't do much as it was nearly unplayable delievery..I decided to stick around for a while even with some body blows...Courtsey Waugh)
This was probably due to the reqmt. Project needs at this moment is B1.
Whatz your Specialisation.?
Ma.........es..; I prefer to work in a more challenging envt than the repetitive work.
(Took a quick single)
Whatz your educational background?
BE in ECE...
Do you have the certificates?
Yes..Here it is....(Okie....)
Tell me, why do you want to go?
Technical Discn...
(Loose ball...Hit straight to the fielder....Later cursing myself as I should have put that in to the Stands)
Gentleman...Iam not convinced...If you need the Visa, you have to vindicate me...
(Inswinging Yorker......Can't do much)
One Minute Sir..(Took a deep breath....) Adjusted the Soda Buddy....(Said to myself...Come on Machi..Come on...)
I work...for..uuu Pjt ...for xxx domain and for yyy module... Got to go for a Tech discussion for the various topics which was outlined in the Invite Letter...May be you could have a look on that and that could probably depict the intent of my travel...Hope I have answered your qn now.
I felt I had played a technically correct cover drive....Anxiously looking for his reaction...
He had a breezy little look on the invite lr and nodded his head(Just like Umpire Bucknor..)
Simple Qn..Clear Answer...Go and Pay the Fees....
Next Please......(The same old voice again...But after 15-20 Minutes)

Yes...Yes...Yes...nu Minaley Maddy maathri oru puch koduthutu......Searched that Pink...Salwar........Lost it.....
(Aval Paranthu Ponaley.......)

Sir....Ingha Fees Panungha.....(Oru Vithyasamana Kuralil Nanbhar Yenaku Kai katinaar..)
Mikka Nanringha.....(Thooya Thamizil Sign off Seithu Peru Moochu Viten)

Rgds
Barry